It Takes Two... Taken out

At 2:01 PM on Wednesday, July 05, 2006

According to Theatre Mania in an interview with Marc Shaiman:


He mentions that the number "It takes Two" will be
dropped from the film to be replaced by a new song for
Link. Perhaps a song that moves the story forward
rather than a song Link sings as a part of the hit
parade.


Meanwhile, Shaiman is busy re-writing the score of Hairspray for its upcoming film version, which will star John Travolta as Edna, Queen Latifah as Motormouth Maybelle, Amanda Bynes as Penny, Zac Efron as Link, and newcomer Nicole Blonsky as Tracy. "We've written a new ballad for Tracy to show off her voice and a new number for Link where 'It Takes Two' was. We were really hoping to change Link's name to Oscar, so we could write something called 'I Want Oscar," he jokes, referring to his desire to add an Academy Award to his mantle. We're even written a new song for Velma. I know a lot of people didn't love 'Miss Baltimore Crabs,' but if they heard me do the uncut version, they'd change their mind. We also wrote a second song for her, kind of like Streisand's 'Gotta Move,' but the producers didn't get it. Maybe I'll sing out as a bonus track on the cast album."

While Shaiman admits to being devastated that Harvey Fierstein won't get to re-create his Tony winning turn as Edna on film, he has no qualms about the casting of Travolta in the role. "He sings well and dances great, and he's totally game for it. And I think not only that he's back in a musical, but also that he's playing a woman guarantees curiosity, which should bring people in."




Also, Auditions have begun to find the many extra dancers needed to fill out the 'Welcome to the Sixties' and 'Good Morning Baltimore' numbers.


I was told many of the auditionees came in costume. Who knows if that helped their chances of getting cast, but I guess it couldnt hurt!

Love,
Hairhopper

Hairspray Movie Musical